Wednesday, September 30, 2009

9/29/09...A day to remember

Yesterday was a wonderful day for a number of reasons. First, the weather was about as close to perfect as it could be. The early morning temperature was around 60 and it stayed in the mid to upper 70's for most of the day with a beautiful blue sky and low humidity. Second, my time in the office in the morning was unusually productive. Sometimes when I sit down to study and write, the ideas are as hard to grab as a greased pig at a county fair. At other times, everything flows like a beautiful mountain stream. Fortunately, it was the latter for me yesterday. Third, in the afternoon after lunch I had the pleasure of visiting in the homes of two of our older widow ladies from church. Being able to do this is one of the things I like best about my work as a minister. Of course, God says this is part of pure religion in James 1:27. But I just enjoy being in their homes, hearing their stories, getting to know one another better, and giving them some encouragement. Fourth, it was a great joy for me to assist a young couple in obeying God's will for their lives. They have been attending regularly and the husband called me yesterday to say that they were ready to obey the Gospel. At a little after 4 p.m., I baptized them both into Christ. His parents are long time members of the congregation. Everyone in the church family will be rejoicing when they hear. Fifth, I had the pleasure of accepting an invitation on Sunday from one of the couples in the church for supper last night. She prepared an excellent salad that had lettuce, sliced strawberries, almonds, avocado pieces and poppy seed dressing. I could have made a meal on that! But there was also baked salmon, baked potatoes, dinner rolls and homemade brownies with ice cream for dessert. It was excellent! I stayed and visited with them until 9 p.m. Sixth, when I left this couple's home, I checked my cell phone to find that I had missed a call from a couple who are great friends of our family from when we lived in Alvin, Texas. I called them back and they are going to be up here in Dallas this weekend for a wedding so they plan to come to Ennis to worship with us this Sunday morning. Also, the Arkansas Razorback vs. Texas A & M football game is at the new Cowboys Stadium in Arlington this weekend and several of our church friends from Springdale said that they would try to come to worship with us while they are here for the game.

So, 9/29/09 was an outstanding day. But then, every day is an outstanding day when you are in Christ and you know that you are part of the family of God. Hope everyone has an excellent day today!

Therefore, since we are justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. (Romans 5:1)

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 6:23)

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. (Romans 8:1)

Thanks be to God for His inexpressible gift! (2 Corinthians 9:15)

No comments:

Post a Comment