Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Some mundane and some vitally important

Yesterday morning the rains finally stopped and by evening we had the first view of a clear blue sky since last Wednesday. One of our elders stopped by the office and said his rain gauge showed over 11 inches at his house. From what I see on the weather news and from what Merilyn tells me, it seems that this rain system has moved up into Arkansas over the past few days. The weather reporter I watched last night said that it looks like the whole system is now going to back up and give Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas and Oklahoma another dose!
In the afternoon I got to meet with the family of the gentleman who passed away on Monday. She is a strong woman and is fortunate to have an excellent support system of family and Christian family who will help her through the days ahead. Still, I can't imagine what it would be like to go home to an empty house after 61 years of marriage. She told me yesterday, "I've never been alone. I lived with my parents until we got married and we've been together ever since." There is a couple here in the church who both lost their spouses back in the 1990's then married one another. They carry out an excellent grief recovery ministry by sharing with those who have lost loved ones two books and four booklets over the course of the first year after the death. I hope these materials will help Bobbie.
In the evening I kept my schedule clear because I had to do laundry. It was not that I needed to do laundry...I had to do laundry, if you get my drift. While in the apartment complex's laundromat I met an interesting fellow named Abdul who was wearing the long, flowing garments of a man who is obviously of Middle Eastern origin. He is from Palestine. He is here from Detroit, separated from his family, and working down here because he lost his job up there. I have found that situation to be more and more prevalent in the current economy.
I just got a phone call a few minutes ago from a friend named Tom in Fayetteville, AR who found out yesterday afternoon that he has multiple myeloma. Tom is probably around 40, married, and has two young daughters. He said it's a good news, bad news type of scenario. The bad news is that it is multiple myeloma, but the cancer is stage one so they have caught it early. The doctor there wants him to go to UAMS in Little Rock for evaluation and treatment because one of the top doctors in the nation for treating myeloma is there. Please remember this fine Christian man in your prayers. He has great faith and a great attitude, determined to fight and win this battle.
Thanks for reading. I appreciate the comments, emails and Facebook messages that many of you leave. If you would, share my blog address with anyone who you think may be interested in reading. God bless you today!

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:37-39)

No comments:

Post a Comment