Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Settling in

The process continues. On my top three list of least favorite things to do are: 1) Painting the house, indoors or outdoors; 2) Wallpapering (glad that is not in style anymore!); 3) Moving. Since it has been quite a while since we moved, that item had slipped to the #3 position, but I may have to bump it up one or even two spots. All in all, things have been going pretty well with my transition from Springdale to Ennis. Over the course of the past week, I've gotten nearly all of my boxes unpacked in the office and most of the books and other things are in the shelves where they belong. The apartment is coming along as well. I've gotten curtains hung, bought most of the cleaning and maintenance supplies, and laid in enough provisions to keep myself fed. But I tell you what...the church folks here are feeding me so well that I may have to increase my exercise program! Here's what has happened this week beginning on Sunday. One of the couples took me for Sunday lunch to the Grand Buffet Restaurant, an oriental food all-you-can-eat place that lives up to its name. In the evening I went to Wendy's with a group from church where someone else bought my supper. On Monday I had my usual lunch at the apartment. In the evening, a couple had me over for a great supper of salad, homemade chicken pot pie and topped off with chocolate cream pie. On Tuesday one of the elders called just before lunch and asked if I was free for lunch. I was so he took me to Jimmy's, a neat pizza/Italian restaurant downtown in an old bank building. I got two slices of pepperoni, thinking that wouldn't be too much. They were huge! Those two slices would have been a whole small pizza anywhere else. In the afternoon, I went to visit one of the couples in their home. She had made a beautiful fresh strawberry pie and asked if I would like a piece. I couldn't say "no" since she went to all that trouble and all, could I? I am surely not complaining. Everyone, church folks and town folks, has been so nice and welcoming that it is truly a pleasure to be here. Even though Merilyn and I do not like the situation of having to be separated right now, we are grateful for the blessings which God continues to provide for us.

Thanks for reading. Have a great day!

Rejoice always, pray constantly, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)

No comments:

Post a Comment