Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Going to and fro throughout the land

I spent a good part of the day yesterday at the Baylor Medical Center in Dallas after receiving a call that the doctors caring for one of our elderly gentlemen advised the family to remove life support. All of their four children were able to be there as well as most of the nine grandchildren. He was 81 years old and enjoyed a marriage of nearly 62 years with his surviving wife. They have been strong, faithful members of the church. It was good to see them rely on their faith, knowing that Robert's suffering was over and he was going to be with the Lord. For several hours before they removed the life support, it was touching to watch the family members talking to him and saying their final good-byes. There were tears and there was laughter. Robert loved singing and was a song leader at church for many years. One of the daughters said, "Daddy, later on today you will get to hear the angels singing in Heaven." What a great thought!
After returning from Dallas, I was able to get some things done in the office. Since the weather has been so rainy I went over to get my exercise on the treadmill at the home of one of our elders. They have been so gracious and helpful since I have come to Ennis. When I got done I got supper at my apartment, got cleaned up and went to Corsicana to visit a gentleman who has been coming to visit in our worship assemblies for the past month or so. He seems to be a great guy who is having some tough times. He is striving to be a faithful member of the church but is going through a divorce after over 25 years of marriage. I hope my visit was an encouragement to him. As an aside, he has a cat that looks remarkably like my mother's cat, a beautiful gray coat with white markings on its feet and chest. It was a feral cat that was captured and adopted with quite a story behind it as they worked to tame it over the course of many months. It has the greenest eyes that I have ever seen. They almost seemed luminescent. But the feral may not be totally out of it yet. It is very playful. Several times while I was petting it, it wanted to start clawing and biting. At one point as we were talking, the man said, "Cat!", in a sharp tone of voice. I looked around and the cat was on the back of the sofa twitching its tail a few feet away from my head. He said he thought it was getting ready to pounce on my head!
While I was in Corsicana I called Merilyn. You may remember the Collins Street bakery where they make their famous fruitcake is in Corsicana. They usually have an ad in the Sunday newspapers Parade magazine all over the country as Christmas approaches. I asked her since I was down there I would be glad to try to find the place and buy her some fruitcake. She said, "No." Can you imagine turning down such an excellent offer?!
Hope you have a good day today. God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment