Monday, October 12, 2009

Great weekend, soggy Sunday

What was so great about the weekend? The #1 thing is that I got to go back home to Arkansas and see Merilyn for a few days. Other things that made the weekend a great blessing for me included getting to be with my Thursday night Bible study group, getting to visit with Sarah and Blake, seeing some friends in town, getting some chores done around the house, seeing the beauty of the fall foliage as it begins its spectacular show in the Ozarks, and having the blessing of safe travel. Although Merilyn and I have to be separated most of the time, I am grateful to God that He has provided me a place to work so that we can still see each other from time to time. It was definitely cooler in northwest Arkansas than in the Dallas area. When I left on Thursday it was about 84 degrees and when I got to Springdale it was about 56. But the cooler weather really makes it feel like the changing season is coming and that's kind of nice. That cooler, wet weather has crept down into Texas over the weekend, too.
How about those Razorbacks?! Merilyn, Sarah and I got to watch the first part of the game together and then they watched while I listened in the car after I took off to return to Texas. When a couple of the ESPN commentators chose Arkansas to upset Auburn, I thought they were wacky. They obviously know more than I do, especially Lee Corso who said Arkansas would just score and score and score. That is exactly what happened in the first half and it's good for us it did because Auburn surely tried to roar back in the second half. But the Hogs bucked up, scored some more points and got a convincing win. Whoooooo, Pig, Sooooooie!
Our Sunday in Ennis was good, but soggy. It was raining first thing in the morning and continued until after lunch. It let up for a little while then started again in mid-afternoon. When we met for the 5 p.m. worship time, it was pouring. I was grateful to see everyone who braved the inclement weather to come to the worship and Bible study time. I started a new series of lessons on the Sermon on the Mount and I believe we had the largest number in attendance on Sunday evening since I've been here, in spite of the bad weather. That is encouraging!

Oprah Winfrey is at the State Fair of Texas to tape a segment of her talk show this morning. The ads in the paper last week said it would be done "rain or shine." Looking out my window right now, it appears that there is a good chance it will be done in the rain. She came into Dallas yesterday and went out to the State Fair to scope it out and eat some fried butter and other goodies. By the report they had on the news last night, it looks like she is being treated like a visiting head of state. It should make for an interesting show whenever it airs.

Monday is always a jam-packed day in my office, catching up from the weekend and Sunday then looking ahead to all that needs to be done in the coming week. I did not see our church secretary yesterday so I asked her husband and kids about her. They said she has a deep chest cough that sounds like bronchitis or maybe the start of the flu. Her daughter said she almost always gets walking pneumonia around this time of year. They have encouraged her to go to the doctor so I asked them to tell her that I added my encouragement to theirs. I hope she will go today and see what she's got.

Have an excellent day today! It is a gift from God so count it along with all of your other blessings and be grateful.

I asked God for all things that I may enjoy life. He gave me life that I may enjoy all things. (Author unknown)

Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad. (Proverbs 12:25)

No comments:

Post a Comment