Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A gray, dreary day but...

This morning is what I think the weather must be like in Seattle. Gray, wet, dreary, chilly. It has been this way for several days now, so much so that a sports reporter in the Dallas Morning News made a comment about it in his article yesterday when he was talking about what he considered the dreary play of the Cowboys in their loss to the Denver Broncos last Sunday. But I am grateful that my "oogy Tuesday" has not carried over into today. I was a little concerned yesterday that I might have been coming down with something, but after a good night's rest, I am feeling much better today.
I enjoyed having lunch in the home of a couple from church. They are interesting folks. He is a blue grass music fan and musician. While his wife was preparing part of the meal, she told him to show me his "play room." Among other things of his "man stuff" in this room he has his banjo, 2 acoustic guitars, a bass fiddle, a violin, a mandolin and a baritone ukulele. I'll have to go out to hear him play with his buddies some time at one of the local blue grass/country music venues. She made a good vegetable beef soup with cornbread for lunch and finished it off with pound cake topped with fruit and Cool Whip for dessert. I really enjoyed being with them. Then when I left she gave me a good size container of soup to take with me. I suspect it will be even better after it sits a few days. Mmmmm, good!
A couple of our dear friends in Springdale got a scare yesterday. She had a mammogram recently which came back with some abnormalities. Her doctor got in touch with her yesterday morning and wanted to rush her into a biopsy procedure in the afternoon. Her mother had breast cancer and a mastectomy so our friends were quite upset. Merilyn gathered the kids after school and kept them until the evening. Fortunately, it turned out that the abnormalities were benign calcifications. Her husband is a doctor and he said they got her into this rush care and gave her about 3-4 days of treatment and test results in one afternoon. We are thankful to God for this good outcome.
God is good to us, even in the midst of the struggles that we face. Have a good day today!

Some people complain because God put thorns on roses, while others praise Him for putting roses among the thorns. (Author unknown)

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. (Philippians 4:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment