Thursday, November 12, 2009

Catching up

Now that I've written about some of the events from this past weekend and Sunday, I need to catch up on some of the other things that have been happening.
When I got home last Thursday evening after the Bible study group, Merilyn asked me what I was going to do tomorrow. I had thought about washing the cars or doing some outdoor chores. She suggested that I might consider cleaning the carpet. We had both mentioned in the previous weeks that it needed to be done, but I have to admit it is not my favorite chore. The weather forecast was for a beautiful, warm, sunny day which is perfect for carpet cleaning because the windows can be opened to enhance the drying process. I agreed that I would do that. It took me about 5 hours to do the main traffic areas and other parts that needed attention. When Merilyn got home and saw the improvement, she commented about how much better it looked. That made me feel good. But the fresh cleaning job didn't last too long. While we were sitting around Friday evening visiting with Keith and Sarah, Miss Mollie decided to squat and do her outside business right in front of the couch! She is usually good about going outside but she is still learning. Fortunately, it was an easy clean-up so not too much harm was done.
I mentioned last week that I had my first pulled hamstring muscle in nearly thirty years of jogging and running. While I was home it was feeling better. I did about 3 miles of moderate jogging on the treadmill. It was sore but it went OK. On Monday of this week I went out for my regular exercise. The leg was still a little sore so I took it a little easier on the sprinting portions. Everything was fine through 3 miles. Between miles 3 and 4 I was doing another sprint portion and it pulled again. Aggravating! I've done some internet research on care and rehab of the hamstring muscle group with exercises, stretching, and self massage. It seems to be working. My doctor friend said I could walk but to take it easy on the running. I went out yesterday and was able to complete the 4 miles with fast walking and light jogging. It hurt but it was tolerable and better than not being able to go at all. It looks like I'm in for a 2-4 week recovery, then I will have to baby the hammie for a while before getting back to full speed.
On Monday of this week I helped move one of our elderly couples with a crew of fellows from church. They decided it was time to give up their home and move into an assisted living center. I know it must have been a difficult decision for them but it is for the best as he seems to be in rapidly declining health. They both had good attitudes and appreciated our help. It's good that there are nice facilities available for folks when they come to this point in their lives.
Here we are, ready for another weekend and Sunday already. Time flies when you're having fun, doesn't it? Time flies whether you are having fun or not! One of the more thought-provoking concepts I have considered is that time is a creation of God to provide the venue for Him to accomplish what He has done in bringing mankind into existence and then making it possible for us to have eternal salvation. When God decides, time will be no more. It is a bit dumbfounding to consider a state of being without any limitation of time; in other words, forever. Let's all be sure that we are ready for it! God bless!

The years of our life are threescore and ten, or even by reason of strength fourscore; yet their span is but toil and trouble; they are soon gone, and we fly away. Who considers the power of Thy anger, and Thy wrath according to the fear of Thee? So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom. (Psalm 90:10-12)

No comments:

Post a Comment