Monday, February 15, 2010

Topsy-turvy

This past weekend brought quite a switch in terms of the weather. This was my weekend to go back to Arkansas. The two previous times I had gone back, there was significant snow in Arkansas and Oklahoma. When I was preparing to go back last Thursday I was keeping a close eye on the weather because the forecast was for the possibility of snow in the Dallas area. One of the church members in Ennis was having lung cancer surgery at Baylor Medical Center in Dallas early Thursday morning so my plan was to go see his wife for a while and then drive up later. By 8 a.m. Thursday there was already 1-2" of snow on the ground and it was coming down hard. The freeway on the way to Baylor was very slushy but not frozen. I was with the family for a while and they urged me to go ahead to leave before it got too bad. When I left around 9:30-10:00, there was probably 4" on the ground in Dallas and there were HUGE snowflakes that were increasing the depth of the snow. I made it out of north Texas without too much trouble. The only real issues were people who were afraid of driving in the snow. The roads were just slushy but not slick yet. By the time I crossed the state line into Oklahoma, the accumulations tapered off and the roads were wet but clear. The forecasters really missed this one. While they were saying 2-3" of snow, Dallas got an all-time record of 12"! Up in northwest Arkansas, there was none. By the time I came back to Ennis on Saturday, most of the snow in the Dallas area was already gone.
It is always good to get to go back home, but this was an especially good visit. Merilyn and I got to be with our Bible study group on Thursday evening. A few folks were not able to make it so we missed them but it was good to be with all who were there. I got to spend some good time with Merilyn and Sarah. On Friday I got Merilyn some red roses for Valentine's Day and took them out to school for her. She seemed to like that pretty well. Merilyn and I had been thinking about looking for another automobile for her...one that was smaller and more economical. We went out just to look on Friday evening and ended up trading her GMC Acadia for a Chevrolet Equinox. Everything worked out well with it, particularly with a smaller payment and better fuel economy.
We enjoyed a good day at church yesterday. Attendance was up some even though we've got several folks out sick right now. We had several in-town visitors with us. That is always encouraging.
I'm needing to go up to Dallas to visit the gentleman in the hospital at Baylor so I'd better wrap this up for now. Have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment